When everything goes wrong
Actions carried out
Second solo navigation: 2400 nautical miles, 20 days steering without the auto pilot.
Summary of the stopover
Friendships get stronger after a permanence onboard, but I start to feel tired after four years of expedition. Three days before my flight from France to Wellington, my friend Stéphane Husson passes away. I fly to Wellington to start navigation again, alone. Thinking that this traverse is going to be easy, my head is somewhere else. A storm surprises me with 40 knots per hour in the sheltered port. It’s the 6th of July and it’s the Austral winter. I hardly noticed.
I set off from the bay. It’s grey outside. I find myself often navigating from within the cockpit, I have a hard time “entering” the element of this leg of the expedition. A big storm forces me off-route for two days, I start to be worried as Maewan seems to be at the limit of its capacities. The waves are snug and hit hard. The hours are long and as I leave again the wind is changing. We finally start sailing towards Polynesia with good conditions. I start imagining the end of this leg –maybe 10, 11 days of navigation?- but as I suddenly wake-up the autopilot starts to make a weird sound. Everything happens quickly: a piston breaks, something else cracks, I cannot steer anymore. All these issues are not connected but somehow they all happened at the same time. The team on land supports me, we try to fix the problem but I finally have to face reality: I cannot count on the autopilot anymore. I am more than 1000 miles away from the first island where Marion could join me to finish to navigation until Tahiti…in the meantime I am alone on Maewan with many days of navigation ahead of me.
Naturopath, after a degree in psychology and a master in public health, she decides to enter an engaging profession: the management of humanitarian programs for NGOs operating in Central America, in the Sahara, in the Middle East. During her 12 years in the field, she progressively enriched her skills in crisis management, geopolitical analysis and advocacy.
She joins Maewan’s deck inspired by the thought of participating in the creation of a future respectful of the planet and its inhabitants. After carrying out an assessment and working on Maewan’s mission and strategy, she becomes president of the association. A challenge to the height of her talent and her flawless ethics.
- Distinguishing featurecan answer her e-mails while steering
Part of the French junior ski team, then ice climbing team as a senior. Mountain guide and skipper, Erwan has crossed the world wearing crampons and ice-axes, with more than 20 expeditions behind his back. He has been organising international climbing events –the “Petzl Roc Trip” in Europe, USA, Mexico, China and Argentina for 12 years before throwing himself into this 7-year adventure between sea and mountains, with top-level athletes as teammates.
With Marion, they have decided to use this sport adventure as basis on which to develop Maewan’s educational and environmental programs. In this context, Erwan was chosen in 2017 as Activist Of The Year by Communicaton Sans Frontières during the Fair Communication Awards.
- Distinguishing featurehas more yerba mate than hemoglobine in his blood
- Activist of the Year Award 2017 🏆
« Être poussé dans ses retranchements ? Ça tombe bien je suis né pour ça ! En revanche, Erwan, peux-tu me resserrer cette vis pendant que Marion vérifie nos stocks d’eau et de nourriture ? »
- Date de naissance13/07/1982
- Port d'attacheL’Aber Wrac’h
- MensurationsTaille : 10,87m x 3,82m – Poids : 10 tonnes
- Costume Une coque aluminium et 5 voiles
- Capacité d’accueil Jusqu’à 6 personnes à bord
- Autonomie (alimentaire et matérielle) 5 mois
- Politique anti-gaspiMaewan, c'est comme une mini-terre. Un espace aux ressources limitées et donc partagées. C'est une véritable école environnementale, tout doit être utilisé avec parcimonie. À bord, le gaspillage est interdit. Ses voiles nous permettent d'utiliser les éléments naturels pour nos déplacements.
- Signe distinctifPrêt à tout mais moins au près qu’au portant
- Leitmotiv Range-moi, prends soin de moi e a muerte !