The Dream Comes True
Actions carried out
Putting up a mixte route, “Princesse Jeanne” in the fjords of Eskifjordhur, 900m
Exploring the Hornbjarn area in the North West
Putting up a 5-pitch mixte route, in the fjords of Isafjordhur.
Summary of the stopover
An island on the horizon whose snowy peaks are visible during our approach. A south-coast that is wild as it is not protected by the storms hitting her surfaces time after time. On the north coast, vast bays received the cold winds from the nearby glaciers. The local community greets us offering us a Jacuzzi, a warm meal and fresh fish that we find on our deck during the early hours of the morning. At each stop, we enjoy the hot springs to warm-up and wash ourselves.
At the bottom of the fjords, the glaciers’ water drops from the cliff and freezer at our ice climbers’delight.
I started the adventure by traversing from The Aber Wrac’h to Iceland, in winter. The starting idea was to go ice climbing from the boat. I had never sailed for more days, and in those harsh conditions with snow, cold, and big waves it has not been easy. For me, the important discovery of this expedition is the Sea. I hung in there without fleeing, and ultimately we have been able to touch some ice of Eskifjordur, on Iceland’s East Coast. Afterward, we went North-West but the ice had melted… now we had to go back. In the end, with Lionel Daudet we decided on to go back with our own means. We struggled to accost. There we realised that it was not that easy to do things from the boat! Ultimately, we were able to establish some new lines on some waterfalls, we called one “Maewan”. Four years afterward, I am back on the boat in Polynesia, and really happy to see what navigation looks like in these tropical conditions…feel like a holiday!
- Personal recordthe entirety of the Peuteurey route in winter, with the establishment of a new goulotte to exit on the Mont Blanc.
- Date of birth28/01/1978
- Asset at seaOn his second expedition with Maewan, he has been able to steer, manage the sails, and use the autopilot. He hopes to soon be able to cook the whole time!
- Asset on landCurious, has the explorer's soul
- Distinguishing featureTo never get angry except to demand to cool down
Mountain and sea expeditions hold a special place in my heart, regardless of whether it is about a team, whether it concerns boils or ropes. But with a single certainty: these diverse expeditions, where the differences add-up, are the zenith of the Freedom that I nourish above everything else. This is why when Erwan proposed me to participate in a world circumnavigation combined with vertical adventures, it seemed completely natural and self-evident to participate.
- Personal recordin 1993, Piolet d’Or for the expedition to the Pamir-Alai. In 1994: World Tour of the most difficult summits and walls, nominated as adventurer of the year in the “earth” category. In 1995: eight golds awarded by the French Alpine Club. Member of the High Mountain team. In 1996-1997: graduate from the Marcel Bleustein Blanchet foundation for vocational training. Member of the American Alpine Club. In 1999 becomes mountain guide. Piolet d’Or and Cristal FFME Chamonix for the expedition in Alaska on the Burkett Needle. Chosen among the top 100 French of the 2000s. in 2003, nominated ambassador of the Pays des Ecrins. In 2004, Gold medal for Youth and Sport. In 2012-2013 André de St Sauveur price awarded by l’académie des Sports. And many other fisrt ascents, expeditions, movies and books.
- Date of birth04/02/68
- Asset at seaVersatile in all situations
- Asset on landLoves the unknown and white pages...mmm white spaces!
- Distinguishing featureSome missing finter tips after spending too much time on a North face
- Sport achievement with MaewanDifficult to combine different disciplines. To ice climb in Iceland you need to go there in winter, when the sea is most rough. Thus, you spend lots of days at the harbour. But then again, is this really all it is about?
Thanks to the Mer et Montagne Award that has introduced me to this crazy band of mountaineers, it has changed my life, for real!
- Personal record: 10 participations in the Figaro’s solo race, best performance: 5th. Several podiums on the Transat AG2R
- Date of birth07/09/1976
- Asset at seait’s the universe I know better
- Asset on landPfff
- Distinguishing featureCurious
- Sport achievement with MaewanThe first leg of the journey, departure on the 8th of February 2015 from the Aber Wrac’h under the snow, heading towards Iceland with Erwan, Yop, Cloclou and Dod. Then, in the summer of 2016, participated in part of the North-West passage from Greenland to Cambridge Bay, with Erwan, Multi, Sean and Nico. Among ice and bears
As an old friend of Erwan’s I was involved in the early stages of this project both in a literal and more figurative sense. The departure from Britanny and the extreme winter sailing into Iceland and Greenland were a solid beginning where my skills as an amateur sailor were put to the test! Since then I have followed with passion but from a distance, in the warmth of my sofa in the Alps, Maewan’s extraordinary adventures, the evolution of the project into an association. Today, it is with great joy and a emotion that I join the captain and his crew in the warm and isolated waters of Polynesia.
- Distinguishing featureAlways searching for the best deals, goodaccommodation, the most comfortable means of transport, the best local food…His investigative skills allow him to teach you the ancestral techniques of fishing, gathering and cooking, in just a few days, as if he had been doing it since he was a child.An opportunistic hunter and omnivore, he is more or less happy to try and hunt for dog-toothed tuna or coconuts crabs.